Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'm thankful for the memories.

I think it's time to give a shout out to my former afternoon bus driver, who gave me some of my best bus material which I have not yet published. Kelly has heard the stories in person, and occasionally asks, "Have you blogged about her yet?" Really that just tells me he's not reading my blog on a regular basis -- thanks babe. Anyway, here goes: The first time I walked on the afternoon 22, I got the sense my bus driver hated everyone on her bus at the moment, including me. She looked at me with careless eyes and gave off a distinct impression that you do NOT mess with her, or her 3-inch claws might come out. (I'm not kidding about the fingernails.) I wasn't super intimidated by her, but I did squeak out a "Hi" with a hesitant smile to go with. A few more weeks of that and finally I got a "Hi, howyadoin'" in return. We bonded.... One afternoon not long after, the bus pulled over to pick me up and not a single person was in it. Truly a strange sight on the 22. I walked on and before I could even say "Hi" bus driver goes, "Must be your lucky day." I replied, "Must be. How'd this happen?" Not really expecting a response, she continued speaking with a thick drawl: "Weeell. It's been a straaange day. First I had to kick some kids off the bus because they was graffiti-ing in the back. Then I had to kick some old man off the bus because he was drinkin' beer like it was Pepsi!!" This was the most I had ever heard her speak and I was humored by all the attitude spilling out. "People just crazy today, I tell you what." My lone ridership lasted just one stop that day, but the stories about my first afternoon bus driver go a little further. To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My all time favorite bus story!