Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Luv Text

The bus is packed today. I hate the days when I walk on the bus and every two-seater bench is already occupied by one person, therefore leaving me to decide (quickly) who is the cleanest-looking person to snuggle up with. Okay, the lady devouring her Doritos, so much so, the bag is totally ripped open so she can examine the crumbs is out. Not the guy going, "Shut up fool!" over his cell phone. Obviously not the lady who packed her groceries in the seat next to her. I end up sitting next to a guy who looks at me, smiles and says hello--but almost like he might be the chatty kind. I might be paranoid, but I smile back and then determinedly pull out my cell phone like I've got a text to attend to. I begin texting jibberish to no one (well at least I'm not talking jibberish to no one!) and burn my eyes into the screen like nothing around me could be near as important. Hope he gets the hint. People ask why I don't just bring a book. Two problems with a book: 1) Books are a great conversation piece, and can actually work against a person looking to avoid conversation. 2) A book invites the person you're literally brushing shoulders with to stare over your shoulder and read right along with you. But texting...now that's personal! No stranger is going to ask you who you are texting and what about. (Of course never say never on the 22.) Anyway, I text until an empty bench comes open and I hop to it--just as the subject of my next post walks on....

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Maybe she would have shared her Doritos ... it could have been your lucky day. Now you'll never know.